Not lumps of lifeless paper but minds alive

Books n more books

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Booked for Life

Come Sunday morning and time for my weekly ritual of dusting the three bookshelves begins. As my eyes sweep over my collection, I suddenly seem to walk back in the path of childhood memories - my first tryst with a fat hardbound copy of Ukrainian folk tales which weaved a magic realm inside my head and that was when I fell, in the customary hook, line and sinker fashion, in love with books.

Many a lazy afternoon of the summer vacation were spent devouring every Enid Blyton book I could lay my hands on – in a jiffy I would take off to some distant land of islands, hills and the sea, hand in hand with the Famous Five, the Secret Seven or Five Findouters.At one point I was so obsessed with the thought of joining a boarding school just to experience the joys of midnight parties like in St.Clare’s and Malory Towers series.But I have one grievance against Enid Blyton, her books always made me crave for food and would dig into some ‘murruku’ or some such assorted goodies imagining them to be jam tarts, jellies, baked cookies and chocolate éclair cakes.

After Enid Blyton, the teenage heroines Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew had me enthralled with their words. Trixie Belden did a world of good for my rapidly increasing vocabulary. As Nancy Drew was my first brush with teenage romance, which brings me to another of my favorite heroes - Tom Sawyer –words like ‘truant’ and ‘hookey’ were used in good amount thanks to Mark Twain’s influence.

During the busy school days, the colorful Amar Chitra Katha and Chandamama gave me company between dreary homework. The myriad folklore of India and the mythological legends of Ramayana and Mahabharat were brought to life through these colorful books long before the television series began.

The phase of playing pirates then arrived- Treasure Island influenced me enough to tie one of my eyes and pretend to be Long John Silver and try and sing in my best masculine voice I could muster ’Fifteen men on a dead mans chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.’Books like ‘Heidi’, ‘Black Beauty’, ‘Little Women’ and ‘Pride and Prejudice’ were the favorites in High School where every girl dreamed of finding her own Darcy one day.

With the arrival of college, the pulp fiction made inroads into my shelves. Sidney Sheldon, Robin Cooks, Jeffrey Archers, Ken Follet, James Hadley Chase, Fredrick Forsyth and Harold Robbins often accompanied me to long,boring lectures. But one book, which majorly influenced most college goers of the 90s was ‘The Fountain Head’ where Ayn Rand’s radical ideas and the philosophy of objectivism were happily lapped to be soon rejected as we entered the complex Corporate world.

In between all this I had discovered the joys of poetry – what started with poems in the English school text books soon found a place on my bookshelf - Keats, Wordsworth and more recently Emily Dickenson, Anna Akhmatova and Sylvia Plath. While fiction provided the food for thought, poetry was the perfect fulfillment of my aesthetic senses.

Corporate world gave me free bandwidths of internet to explore new authors. Soon John Steinbeck, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Somerset Maugham, Virginia Woolf, Oscar Wilde jostled for space on my bookshelf. Stricly a skeptic of non-fiction I even managed to read a few of that genre like Lee Iacocca’s Autobiography, Richard Bach’s ‘Bridge Across Forever’. Though my shelf hasn’t seen too many Indian authors Ruskin Bond and R.K.Narayan have stood proudly among the other international writers.

Blame me on my total lack of patience, but these days I am unable to appreciate contemporary literature with the exception of a few (Margaret Atwood, Michael Crichton and J.K.Rowling come to my mind) or sometimes totally driven out of curiosity I did read books like ‘Da Vinci Code’.

Kids these days have more forms of entertainment than we did (cell phone games, video games, outdoor games and not to omit the ubiquitous cable TV) but I always tell them that there is more fun in flying to unknown destinations along with books than to all those places that the TV channels offer.

My journey of reading has had a colorful beginning and an interesting middle but I am happy to say that the end is nowhere near.

14 Comments:

  • At 6/19/2006 5:56 AM, Blogger Rushes' Anomaly said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6/19/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Rushes' Anomaly said…

    Even I used to have a big book on Ukranian folk tales. Somebody presented us (me and my sis) and I sill remember the catfish tales etc from it .. something like panchatantra stories. Well, my mom, gve it away to some kid, whose name she refused to reveal, as she feared that I would get it back - maybe by force ;-)

    Ur blog reminded of my growing days: may be not all those books, but yes, the choices were similar ;-)

     
  • At 6/21/2006 7:34 AM, Blogger Sachin said…

    Very nice post - made me remember a whole bunch of my summers :-)

     
  • At 6/22/2006 6:52 AM, Blogger Shruthi said…

    Great!! A book blog!!
    And we seem to have read the same kind of books :))

     
  • At 6/22/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Deepak said…

    Hey! I had one of those ukrainian folk tale books too among lots of other russian books. The one good thing to come out of Chacha Nehru's romance with USSR was all those cheap russian books.

    Keep those book reviews coming

     
  • At 6/24/2006 6:15 PM, Blogger Crouching Tigress said…

    Princess Chimera, that was quite a kindred post! Although I never really read Sheldon, Robbins, Follet etc. I remember reading just one book of trixie belden thanks to my chilhood pal! I did read Bridge Across Forever...don't ask me how I managed to finish it! So much BLAH!

     
  • At 6/26/2006 1:20 AM, Blogger zee said…

    Enjoyed reading this post !

     
  • At 6/26/2006 11:26 AM, Blogger sugar@gmail.com said…

    nostalgic!

     
  • At 6/27/2006 5:46 AM, Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said…

    @ra
    i think these Russian folk tales books seem to be very popular during the '80s

    @sachin
    well, Enid Blyton was my best companion during all those summers

    @Shruthi
    well, well wanted to start one for a long time,so here I am

    @deppe
    thanx for that trivia , i din know that the reason behind the popularity of Russian books.

    @C.tigress
    I smile thinking 'bout ur expression while reading 'Bridge Across...'

    @venus
    'am glad u did

    @i_am_...
    nostalgic for everyone who grew with books I guess

     
  • At 6/28/2006 1:51 AM, Blogger Prat said…

    yeah I had the lovliest copy of Heidi. It was illustrated so that the reader does not take her eyes off the page!
    And I can still smell the sweet warmth of the goat milk they drank. Oh, what wonderful memories you have triggered, Princess..

     
  • At 6/28/2006 3:53 AM, Blogger Kavs said…

    Hi! It was so good to take a look at your book shelf. To sit in your favorite corner by the window, with a good book in hand is the best way to pass a lazy Sunday afternoon. :-)

     
  • At 1/02/2007 4:37 AM, Blogger The Wandering Hermit said…

    One of the first books that I ever read happened to be RLS''s "Treasure Island" and it had a queer effect..somehow I mixed up Santa Claus with Long John Silver as a result ---my Ho! Ho ! Ho's were always followed by

    A bottle of rum

    Sixteen men on a Deadman's chest.
    Yo! Ho ! Ho!
    And a bottle of rum...

    ... I still , blame Robert Louis Stevenson for that one...

    Along with this book I had got Captain Courageous, Moby Dick & The Journey to the Centre of The World (Jules Verne) Count of Monte Cristo... they were abridged versions which had one page with images on the left hand side and the story on the right..

    From then on I have always been a reader specially the turn of the century writers like COnan Doyle, Verne, H.G WElls, etc.....

    I think if someone young reads those books they arouse the imagination and a lust for the written word..

    NICE ONE I travelled back in time to my initiation with books ..apologies for the long comment,

    cheers
    z

     
  • At 1/16/2007 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved the blog. As swathi knows, I hardly read nowadays besides the usual non-fiction self help books, but I remember reading reading 'Nancy Drew' and the 'Famous Five' and the whole experience of borrowing it from friends or going to the library just made the read worth every min of it..

    - Aruna

     
  • At 4/02/2007 4:38 AM, Blogger iz said…

    I too grew up on a steady diet of Enid Blyton. And today too I remember the fabulous descriptions of food she had in every book!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home